Wednesday, March 25, 2009

school school school

how do you pick what is best for you child?  Braden's preschool teacher who we adore is moving.  This year he only had preschool 2 days a week from 9-12. She did an amazing job of teaching them letters, writing, fun crafts all to do with the letter they were working on or color. She has done fabulous things with them....  
but now that she is leaving we are trying to decide where to send him.

i have found 2 places that he is on the waiting list.

*option one: school 8-2 and 5 days a week.  they will work  on writing in cursive by the end of the year and have them reading- what!!  (and of course will do plenty of art projects and fun things- playground, fieldtrips etc).  The school insists that he come all 5 days a week or he will really fall behind.  He will definitely learn a lot- but does he really need all this at 4?!

*option two:  just the opposite of number one! 5 days a week, 7:45-11:30.  but they won't really be working on writing their letters or learning to read. they will be doing a lot of art projects and fun play. the toys are all educational toys, number puzzles stacking blocks etc.  but they won't be sending home any homework or really working on anything in school,  Just educational play basically.  

So how do I decide where to send him?  Which is better- learning too much or too little?  And unfortunately these are the only places that I have found that aren't just all day daycare.  Any ideas mom to mom?

11 comments:

DowdleFam said...

I just read a good book called "Boys Adrift" It covers education for boys in chapter 1. It totally helped me decide what to do with Jordan and preschool.

Katie said...

I would pick # 2 he is only 4:)!

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

Molly... my motto is keep your kids young while you can. They grow up way to fast. The academics sounds nice, but play is good for kids and a lot can come from that type of atmosphere. Avery is starting kindergarten next year... I feel she is more than ready and she is not yet writing in cursive. Hawaii standards may be different, but I wouldn't stress so much on academics just yet... he is just 4!

The Mrs said...

Um, wow. Do you know that in most public schools cursive starts in late 2nd - 3rd grade? What will cute little Braden do in kindergarten? Be bored out of his mind.
I agree w/ Haley. Let him be a kid for as long as you can.

Brooke Romney said...

I'm a total education and school geek and I still say #2. He is not ready for all that structure and time away from mom. Do option 2 and teach him about numbers and reading at home. I'd way rather read with my kids and teach them sounds and how to string them together than do messy art projects! Who needs to write cursive at 4. He won't really be internalizing what he is learning, just mimicking. Keep him little now because once Kindergarten starts, you have no choice!

Shannon said...

I tend to be a little opinionated about this kind of thing, but I absolutely vote for the funner, less academic preschool! He has 20+ years of his life in school. but only a few to just have fun. Why would they teach a 4-year-old cursive? Hmmmmm. A little unnecessary if you ask me. I think he would just be bored in Kindergarten. Alright, I'm done with my rant- I promise not to judge you if you decided to put him in the academic one!

The Walker Family said...

Coming from a mom who is in a very rigidly acadamically oriented school district I say #2 all the way. I see how the kids in our school district have stress from the age of 3 on and it's sad and not fair to the kids. If you have a CHOICE in this matter pick option #2 he has his whole life to be ahead and smart. You can always teach him writing and reading at home but, you can't control what goes on at school other than picking ahead of time. Sorry so OPINIONATED but, I live it here in TX snd am turned off by it. Hopefully we won't be in this district forever. :)

ashli said...

I am going to pipe in here as well and say #2! They grow up way too fast and you should keep him little as long as you can. Isaac is in 3rd grade and just finished learning cursive and he loves it. I don't think he would have understood it in preschool....he was still learning how to write legibly.
That said, I do think that kids in general are capable of learning to read and write in preschool and kindergarten, and that as parents we should do all we can to encourage a love of learning, however I think that so much time away from home may make him resent the whole process and besides, who would Cam play with?
It's a personal decision for sure but again I must repeat myself in saying that you should keep him little as long as you can.....life happens way too fast!

Mandy said...

I vote #2. He'll have plenty of time to learn to write in cursive and read! He's only 4 and pre-school should be social skills and some academic play! 5 days a week is intense for preschool! WOW! I thought you were getting a transfer....are you staying in Hawaii?

ashley said...

So just to pipe in too I vote #2. Pax is in all day Kindergarten this year and still comes home exhausted. He knew how to read going into school but not from preschool. His preschool was more social and art focused than academic and it made him love school. I vote fun because once school starts and they are gone all day you just don't have a choice in keeping them home longer. Just my two cents. Love ya!

Sara said...

Good luck with preschool!! I wouldn't do the cursive school!! Have you heard of "How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons"?--I think that's the name of it. Honestly, that's what we've been doing. The lessons last like 10 minutes and you could do them with School Option #2. I'll have to bring the book next time we get together. It's awesome!!