Friday, April 22, 2011

a disaster puts it all in perspective

*I didn't take these pictures- I borrowed them from online because we aren't allowed in a lot of the neighborhoods because of the damage.  Troy has been to some while helping in the tornado efforts, but we don't really want to take pictures of families homes- it just seems wrong. * 


I am so grateful..
grateful for a roof over my head and having my power turned back on only 29 hours later. Some don't have power yet.... 
I am thankful there is not a tree in my living room, my loved ones are safe, 
and for my heavenly father watching over my family...
because we are idiots! 









Somehow we missed the tornado warnings on saturday.  we were cleaning our church
and left it in the midst of pouring rain and hail... which was i believe the front of the tornado that did this.  
The street we took home minutes before it hit- now looks like this.  we were on this road no less than 10 minutes before this tornado was on it.  
we were listening to satelite radio in our van, so it wasn't reporting the take cover warnings- and who knew we moved to a tornado state.  I sure didn't.  I do now.  28 confirmed tornadoes hit our state on saturday and the devastation breaks my heart.  Every town around our house was hit and  somehow our house was in a little circle that was missed-
We see devastation on our way to church- the "back way" is still closed and is the first couple of pics.  
the way through sanford passes directly by the lowes in the pictures below. it is only a few minutes from church.  We had breakfast/ lunch down the road a few hours before.  The road I take to gymnastics and dance was hit- a tornado crossed right over it.  60 foot trees cut in half and it turns out there were neighborhoods behind those trees i didn't even know about.  and they are a mess.  nothing like a 60 foot tree across your roof to put a dent in your house- or better yet, not to have a roof.  













I love seeing a community come together to take care of each other.  Our Stake is doing so much to help so many- but the need is amazing.   There are so many with damage to their homes, and just as many that don't have a home to return to because it is gone altogether.  Every time we say we need to help someone the kids ask if it is because their house is "busted up".  

So the moral of the story- we will be paying attention to the storms from now on.  With every bit of damage i see, I am even more grateful to be safe and for all i have, and I know that my heavenly father was watching over us that day.   

5 comments:

jana said...

Thanks for blogging about it. I just hear bits and pieces and wondered how bad it really was. I had no idea it was a tornado state either. I am glad you are all safe.

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

Molly so glad your family is safe and sound. Those experiences do make you look at life in a different perspective. Stay safe... make sure to watch the weather and keep posting pictures of your cute family... we so love keeping up with you guys! Hugs to all!

aryn said...

That is crazy. So glad you guys are o.k.!!!!!

Natali Thompson said...

I am so glad you are safe! What a crazy experience. You better listen to the warnings next time. What devastation! :(

Brooke Romney said...

Wow. So scary and I'm so glad you guys are safe and your home is okay!! Love you!