Wednesday, July 9, 2008

cease fire in swim negotiations...

Braden started out scared to death of his swim lessons. It was pulling teeth to try and get him to go. as soon as he would wake up he would ask if he had swim that day. When i would say yes, he would start crying... cry all morning... on the way to swim... and through the WHOLE lesson. his poor teacher Mr. Curtis. But Mr. Curtis was really great about it and we have turned a corner this week. He is no longer crying, and is actually trying to do some things. he isn't scared to put his head under the water- and "bobs" where you reach down and pick up a ring off the ground is now his favorite thing. Crazy for a kid who wouldn't put his face in a week ago.
I had to share some of his "negotiation tactics" though because he is just too smart for his own good!!
B- molly (he is really into calling me molly these days) Molly- will there be other kids in my class today?
Me- yea, the other kids will be there- why?
b- good. if the other kids are there, i don't have to have as many turns then right? b/c i don't want to go that many times.


B- molly- i think Mr. Curtis is at the airport.
m- at the airport? why
b- he works at the airport- remember?!
m- oh yea (he does have a night job at the airport). I don't think he is at the airport braden, he will be at his house.
b- no i think he is at the airport. if he is at the airport then we don't have swim today. lets go to his house so we can see that he is at the airport so that when he is at the airport then we can go home b/c we won't have swim.
m- hmm.. wow that is a big plan.
b- yea, that is the plan. i made that plan.


B- molly, tell Mr. Curtis that i don't want to do the superman today.
or the bobs
or the back float thing
or put my face in. "K"
or go in the deep side.
or the bobs. Ok molly? will you tell him.

M- Do you like your teacher Mr. Curtis?
B. yea I like Mr. Curtis. But I don't like the superman. Or the bobs. or going on my back. or putting my face in.
m- oh, but you do like Mr. Curtis.
B- yea, but tell him i don't want to do those things.

Mr. Curtis- Ok Braden, your turn.
B- its not my turn. Its that girls turn. (pointing at a girl in the class)
Mr. Curtis- no sorry bud, it is your turn.
B- no it isn't my turn. Then it is that girls turn. i think that she wants to go first. I think if she goes then she will be happy. But if i go then i won't be happy. (all said while crying)
Mr. Curtis- dragging him off the stairs. sorry your turn bud.

B- I don't think i can swim today.
m- why?
b- b/c i am sore. See my arms are sore. And my head, its too sore. And i think i have a fever. So i can't swim.
M- wow you sure are sore.
B- yea, and my stomach is sore. So I don't think i can eat the rest of my breakfast, because my arm is too sore.


Lets just say he keeps the other moms on the sides laughing!

these are all from the first week...




Here he is now:



9 comments:

Jeremy 'n Brandy said...

I love all the ways Braden was trying to get out of swimming. Very creative. My sister has a very similar post but with two of her boys. One cried the entire lesson and the other SCREAMED. So funny. Ava loves the water so I haven't had to experience this yet. haha

Karla Christiansen said...

HILARIOUS! That is all I have to say. What a creative boy!

The Mrs said...

Don't you just love that? You pay the money and take the time to get them into a swim class and then they refuse to participate. Jackson cried for his first 4 sessions. It was horrible. After that he got better but still wouldn't do some of the activities (like sticking his head under). Finally I just dunked him and he was totally fine. The stinker could do it all along he just didn't want to.

ashli said...

molly-
what a funny little bugger. it's amazing what they can learn from repitition and consistency. a lesson for us all!
on another note....i just happened to blog hop onto troy's sister's last time i was on your's and checked again today. i am so sad for their cute little family. i also cannot believe the amazing faith and courage. amazing! i will most definitly keep them and your entire family in my prayers.
love,
ashli

Nadig Family said...

What a little rascal. Those tactics are great. Maybe he will be a lawyer. Very hillarious. Love it. He is just too smart for his own good. Him and Haley are one in the same in that respect.

Nadig Family said...

What a little rascal. Those tactics are great. Maybe he will be a lawyer. Very hillarious. Love it. He is just too smart for his own good. Him and Haley are one in the same in that respect.

Shannon said...

What a brilliant little negotiator. He's such a cack-up.

Harmony said...

Oh poor Braden. Swimming is so scary when you're little, I feel for ya man. I can't believe that he calls you molly! that is too funny. and the picture of him in his rollerskates kills me.

Mueller Ohana said...

He is quite the negotiator. Good for you for persevering. I gave Jess swim lessons a few months ago and she would only go the first time. She reused to even get into the water. Must say though 3 months makes a big difference and she is now bobbing up and down under the water:)