Friday, April 25, 2008

Amazing Moments



For those who are members of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will know this amazing woman as Sister Bonnie Parkin. In the LDS church there are very special people who are asked to lead the members of the church. Sister Parkin was one of these chosen women. She was the acting Relief Society President of the church from 2002 - 2007. (for those non-churchgoers- this means she was in charge of all the millions of women in the church. So she was the president to the members in Korea, Brazil, Hawaii, US etc etc.... big job!)
So you can imagine my surprise when this past Sunday she was in our Ward. Just before I got up to teach the Relief Society lesson I realized she was there. I had the very scary, overwhelming and amazing opporturnity to teach the weeks Relief Society lesson to the President of the Relief Society. What a week to come without handouts, visual aids or treats. But she taught that we should focus on the lesson not the extras. And so I did.
I left my lesson and nerves to the Spirit and feel very blessed to have had this opportunity. She is an amazing woman who offered great insite into the lesson on Baptism and Confirmation into the church.
After the lesson I had a chance to chat with her about our lives, our families, her vacation- and none other than where I get my hair cut!
I hope one day I can bring the spirit into the room with me the way she does.

9 comments:

Cianne said...

What an awesome experience. I am especially impressed that you were able to give a lesson. I would have freaked out. I bet it was amazing to have an incredible woman in the room, but you are amazing too.

susie said...

Are you kidding me Molls? You taught a lesson with Sister Parkin there? NERVEWRACKING! But also very, very cool. I would have loved to be there. I guess that's what you get for living in a hot tourism spot. :)

Jeremy 'n Brandy said...

Way to go! I am totally impressed!

Natali Thompson said...

That is so awesome Smalls...of course I would have completely passed out myself-but good for you. That would have been so cool to meet her.

Dixons said...

I love Sister Parkin. She was my mission mom, so I have a special place in my heart for her. I learned so much from her! I'm jealous that you got to see her! I'm sure you taught an amazing lesson! Love and miss you!

Casey * Haley * Avery * Owen said...

Molly... WOW... I would have been so nervous. I get nervous when the Bishop walks in the room. You are amazing and I am sure your talk was wonderful. What a neat experience! I sure do miss you guys. Thanks for the comment on our blog... It is so hard without our hubby's around... I agree with the "single stay at home mom" title. It is so true... I should start keeping track of the actual hours we see Casey... it would be interesting... maybe I shouldn't... it might be depressing! Take Care... I need to call you and catch up soon!

Shannon said...

wow molls. If anyone can do it, it's you. I still remember your gosple doctrine lessons just shortly after you were converted- you are a great teacher. Why was she there on Sunday?

The Walker Family said...

Molls, what a wonderful experience...once in a life time. Thanks for sharing:) Only you could have pulled something off like that...way to go:-)

Mandy said...

I'm not a stalker...commenting on every post....but wow...i think i would have passed ou!. I got nervous when stake leaders came in when I was teaching! I did meet and actually spent time with Sis. Parkin when my parents were in Korea. She is the sweatest lady...
I'm sure you did an awesome job!